Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, run by Friends of the Homeless in Fareham and Gospor
The Friends of the Homeless in Fareham and Gosport is a Christian charity which started The Basics Bank in July 2003.
The Basics Bank provides short term practical support to anyone in a crisis or emergency situation.
In the past 12 months the Basics Bank has dealt with some 3000 referrals for people in our community who find themselves facing a crisis and who don’t have enough money to buy food. We have provided parcels to last seven days for around 7000 people in that time. Those parcels include basic food and toiletries but also, where requested, nappies. We also keep a small stock of clothing and sleeping bags.
To access the service a voucher is required. This can be obtained through some 80 or more agencies that come into contact with people who are likely to need assistance. These include Citizens Advice, Local Authorities, services provided through the NHS, Schools, Doctors’ Surgeries, Probation Service, Women’s Refuges, Homeless Charities and others. We rely on these agencies to confirm the need and to manage the relationship with their client.
The service can be used up to four times a year. This limit aims to ensure that we do not create dependency and and ensures that we can help as many people as possible.
Inspired by the teaching and example of Jesus Christ, "Whenever you took care of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did it to me", it is the aim of the Friends of the Homeless in Fareham and Gosport to provide support for anyone in the area who is homeless, at risk of becoming homeless or in a crisis situation by:
• Providing a centre where practical help (food, toiletries, clothing) is available in a welcoming and caring environment and each person is valued and respected as an individual.
• Encouraging and assisting homeless people in their search for accommodation.
• Working in partnership with other voluntary and statutory agencies to continually improve and develop facilities for homeless people and those needing short term help in the Fareham and Gosport area.
• Raising awareness in the whole community of the problems the homeless and other vulnerable people have to face, in order to effect positive change.
What did the Basics Bank give out in the last 12 months?
In the last 12 months we gave out over 200,000 items of food and toiletries. We give out some or all of the following items:
• Soup, Meat, Fish, Baked Beans, Vegetables Spaghetti, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Rice Pudding, Custard, Pasta, Sugar, Milk, Tea or Coffee, Cereals, Rice, Biscuits, Jam, Pasta Sauce, Chocolate, Sweets, Squash
• Toilet rolls, Washing up Liquid, Washing Powder, Soap, Shampoo, Tooth Brush, Toothpaste, Shower Gel, Deodorant, Razor, Baby Food, Nappies, Wipes